Build Your Own Website
Event on 2013-03-02 10:30:00
2 Day Course
Dates: Saturday 02 + Sunday 03 March 2013
Times: 10.30am to 4.30pm
Instructor: Pierre Vella
Internet publishing can appear to be rather daunting, but in fact is not difficult at all. There is very little you require to build a website and everything you need is available free on the Internet. In other words, you don't need to spend huge sums of money purchasing expensive software packages, programming manuals or web server space. You just need to know where to start.
On this course you will learn the fundamentals of setting up a website using both online web applications, such as blogger, and free open-source web applications that are installed on servers, such as wordpress. In both cases content creation, management and publication is done online and in real time.
Working with a variety of media such as text, video, audio, photos and podcasts, you will learn how to create media rich websites that are both visually appealing, instantly searchable and easy to manage.
Course Outline (TBC)
Day 1 will focus on using Blogger (www.blogger.com) an online 'blogging' platform and will cover in detail how to:
* create a blog using www.blogger.com
* create an on-line gallery using Flickr.com
* tagging images in Flickr
* make rss and xml feeds
* create a podcast using odeo and podbean
* add videos and audio to your blog
* add google analytics code to track your sites
* editing templates to define the look of your blog
* using widgets to extend the functionality of your blog
* tagging your bookmarks in del.icio.us and magnolia
Day 2 will concentrate on installing and using WordPress (www.wordpress.org ) and will cover in detail:
* Downloading the wordpress software
* Installation with MAMP (a set of free software programs commonly used together to run dynamic web sites on servers)
* Configuring your wordpress site
* Layout and site presentation with Themes
* Template Code and how they work
* Content creation with posts and pages
* Using WordPress Plugins (extensions for the WordPress software that can extend the functionality of the Software)
* Populating your wordpress site with Content (text, video, audio, podcasts, images and slideshows)
Full Course Listing: http://www.spacestudios.org.uk/whats-on/courses/web-creation-course
10% Concession to SPACE Tenants, Students, OAPs, and Unemployed Individuals. Proof of status will be required upon arrival.
Enter STUDIO10, STUDENT10, OAP10, JOB10 when booking.
Each student has their own workstation for the practical parts of the course and can discuss any specific areas of interest they may have towards the end of the day with the tutor.
0208 525 4330
SPACE reserves the right to cancel a course no later than 7 days before the start date if there are not sufficient numbers booked onto the course. Contact SPACE directly if you have problems cancelling, on 0208 525 4330
Notice of Cancellation: Please inform us as soon as possible if you are unable to attend a course. There is a cancellation fee of 15% (of overall course cost) on all course bookings. It is not possible to refund any cancellation made less than 14 days prior to course start date.
Non-attendance of courses: Please be aware that if you do miss any sessions, these cannot be transferred to another course.
Non transferable: Bookings for workshops & courses are non-transferable. You must attend the course or workshop you have booked a place on, on the correct dates and at the stated times. Cancellation policy rules apply.
Punctuality: It is very important that all course participants arrive in plenty of time. If you find yourself running late on the day of the course, please let us know as soon as possible.
at Space Studios
129-131 Mare St Hackney
Hackney, United Kingdom