DIY Websites 101: Introduction to WordPress
Event on 2013-09-21 09:00:00
Knowing how to build your own website saves money. Period. Creating a professional website on your own means you control every aspect of the building process as well as the end result. If you've ever thought creating a website was too hard, or you couldn't do it, think again!Our DIY Website seminar teaches you how to build your website with no Web Coding knowlege!
If you know how to browse the internet, use Facebook, edit a document in Microsoft Word, or send an email, then you already have the skills needed for our unique web building workshop. What you do need to have is a laptop (Mac or Windows) that is Wi-Fi enabled.
What: DIY WordPress Website Building Seminar
Where: LiquidWeb Datacenter 3 Conference Room
When: Saturday September 22, 2013, 9am – 5pm
Who: Son Koral (Detroit Zoo Web Architect) & LiquidWeb Staff
Who Needs this Course?
- Do You Need a Website, but don't know how?
- Are you a Small Business or Start Up with a great idea, product or service?
- Business at your "Brick and Mortar" store slow and you need new customers?
- Do you have a private practice and want to gain more leads?
- Do you have an interest in starting a blog?
- Worried that you don't have the skills it takes to create a website?
This seminar is designed to help just about everyone out. If you really want to promote something (anything, that is), blog about something or gain new customers and clients, then you need to attend the DIY Website Building seminar.
What Will You Learn?
Well, we'll start with a look at the WordPress website platform in depth, addressing every aspect from a new web builder's (you) perspective. You'll get familliar with common WordPress terms, such as widgets, plugins, and templates, and what they do for you. Once the basics are covered, we will guide you through:
- Setting up the Site (Your hosting account and auto installing the WordPress application)
- Getting familiar with WordPress (The Website application)
- Basic configurations (Site Name, Description and such)
- Web Building Best Practices (Things to think about when buidling your site)
- Writing content (Don't worry… It's like using Microsoft Word)
- Handling images (how to install and use images in your content)
- Navigation Menus (the links at the top and sides of your website)
- Comment Configurations (Control people leaving messages on your site)
- Adding functionality (like a gallery or contact us form through "plugins")
- Customizing the look and feel (Installing templates and configurations)
- Other tools (import, export)
- Basic Search Engine Optimization (how Google and Bing see and index your site)
- Basic Web Marketing fundamentals (How to market your new website online)
You will receive all the training needed build your own website or blog, and be able to do it again and again whenever you need!
This one day DIY Seminar is oriented toward the novice internet user. Attendees will only need to know how to:
- Comfortable with browsing the internet on their laptop
- Filling out contact forms online
- Use Facebook at least once a week
- Using Microsoft Word (or equivilent)
- Comfortable sending and receiving emails
- Basic concepts of what the internet is (computers linked all around the world via "the internet" — now you know)
Recommended for the Seminar
- Using an audio or Video recorder to help suppliment your notes and memory
- Using a smartphone (iPhone or Android) is helpful, but not required)
- Having Skype installed on your laptop
What will you take home?
At the end of the session, you will have a live website that is accessible to the public that you've put together yourself! This site can be either a blog or a standard business website, and will contain everything you have learned through the seminar. You will also take home the unique knowledge of seeing exactly where your website resides in the physical "real" world at the Liquidweb Data Center 3. You will also meet the people at Liquidweb who maintain your hosting, provide "Heroic Support" when you need it, and ensure that the web servers (computers) that your website is on run smoothly so your site is always available to you and the public.
Seminar Location and Times
Saturday, September 21, 2013, 9am – 5pm (lunch included)
Seminar Sign in starts at 9:00 am. Coffee, tea will be available. Attendees are encouraged to meet each other and network until 10 am sharp when seminar formally starts.
Lunch (sponsored by LiquidWeb) will be served about noon and session will resume at 1:00 pm. We will wrap up around 4:00 pm and take an hour for Q&A.
The DIY Seminar will be hosted by the friendly folks at LiquidWeb! The LiquidWeb Datacenter 3 is located in Lansing, Michigan at the following address:
LiquidWeb Data Center 3
2703 Ena Drive
Lansing, MI 48917
[ Google map ]
Grab your Ticket Today!
This Introductory Seminar will sell out FAST! We have received a number of requests already, and people are ready to get started. We are limiting the number of attendees to just 20 for this seminar (the fewer the better, right?) but we will sell all 20 available slots.
at LiquidWeb Data Center 3
2703 Ena Drive
Lansing, United States