Expand your brand: How to work with translators
Event on 2015-05-05 18:30:00
Learn everything you need to know to launch a translation project
During this interactive evening course, translator and sub-editor Pauline Eloi demystifies the process of translating your website into different languages, allowing you to address an international audience and open your business to new markets.
The evening focuses on providing a detailed overview of the different translation and localisation providers available, and advice on how to choose the best one for your business. You’ll learn what a translation project entails, how long it will take and how much it will cost. Importantly, you’ll also learn how translation can have a positive impact on your business by boosting customer engagement and profitability.
In addition, you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in a practical exercise where you’ll draw up a brief using information from your own translation project. Whether you want to translate your website from English to Hebrew, or from French to four different languages, this course will give you the information and skills necessary to engage with users anywhere in the world.
This course is for you if…
- You run a business and want to know how to set up a translation project
- You – or your employer – runs a website that you would like to translate into another or multiple languages
- You’re a business owner looking to expand to other regions of the world
- You’re a professional blogger who would like to make your content accessible to audiences who speak a different language to you
PLEASE NOTE: In order to get involved in practical exercises, attendees should bring along as much information as they can about the translation project they have in mind – for example, information on which language(s) they want to translate their website into, and a rough idea of word count for their content.
- Translating: definition and key aims
- What a translation project entails
- Comparisons between human and machine translation
- What is localisation – and why is it important?
- Overview of the different linguistic services available
- How to assess different translation providers – and choose the best service for your business or website
- How translation can increase online engagement and profits
- The basics of SEO and metadata
- Contacts, resources and costs
- Timeframe – how long will it take?
- How to write a brief
- Practical exercise: assess what the best translation solution is for your website and draw up your brief during the class
- Opportunity for discussion and feedback
Pauline Eloi is a translator, currently heading a team of linguists at the Net-a-Porter Group. She previously worked as a freelance translator and editor for various online retailers and publications, including London 2012, Ralph Lauren Magazine, Microsoft and the Arcadia Group.
at Kings Place
90 York Way
Islington, United Kingdom