How to be an online fashion editor
Event on 2014-10-23 18:30:00
From creating original features to dealing with developers, and everything in between – the all-inclusive guide to the essential skills for online fashion editors
By nature, fashion is a fast moving beat, and competition in the online media is as fierce as Naomi Campbell's latest Vogue Japan shoot. Online consumers want to know what's hot, where to buy it and who's wearing it – instantly. Getting the story first is important, but getting it right is critical. This exciting and inspiring course offers practical advice to help you do both, as well as manage the daily demands of an online fashion channel.
Using real-world examples, leading online fashion editor Philippa Morgan Walker demonstrates how to plan and write the staples of online fashion content – from breaking fashion news stories and dynamic shopping stories, to writing catwalk reports in less than 15 minutes, without compromising on quality. You'll also learn the best ways to engage readers and grow your community through social media.
The course also covers the technical essentials, including jargon-free introductions to SEO and HTML and how to get the best out of web developers. By the end of the evening, you'll have a thorough understanding of the skills you need, and new confidence in your ability to edit online content and generate fashion features worth talking about.This course is for you if…
- You're a fashion student or recent arts graduate who wants to know what to expect from a role in online fashion journalism
- You're a fashion journalist or editor who wants to know how to transition your skills into the online world
- You run or contribute to a fashion blog and want to improve your digital journalism skillset
This wide-ranging evening talk covers all the bases of online fashion editing, including both technical and creative aspects, and features two short practical exercises to help consolidate important principles. Topics covered during the event include:
- How different media brands display online content
- The most effective way to engage with readers over social media
- The basics of online marketing, from promoting articles organically to seeding online content
- Understanding HTML and how to communicate effectively with digital developers
- The main events: a step-by-step guide on sourcing, building and creating a shopping feature and a celebrity fashion feature
- What is a CMS and what do you need to know about it?
- An introduction to SEO and how to use keywords
- How to write a catwalk report on your iPhone, under pressure at Fashion Week!
- The basics of image rights and intellectual property online
Philippa Morgan Walker is one of the UK's leading online fashion and shopping editors, as well as being a creative digital consultant for fashion brands. Philippa has over seven years experience at Conde Nast Digital and has previously held roles at Vogue.com, Glamour.com and Stylefinder.com. Philippa has also hosted numerous TV spots for channels including Glamour TV, Street Style TV and Vogue TV, and presented at London Fashion Weekend. She has been a creative collaborator with many top brands including Levi's, Etsi, Hilfiger Denim, Diesel and Easy Living, and contributes monthly to Glamour UK. Read more about Philippa on her website.
at Kings Place
90 York Way
Islington, United Kingdom