Event on 2013-10-10 10:00:00
Your tutor: Mike Little Mike is the co-founder of WordPress. He’s also the founder and CEO of WordPress consultancy zed1.com, has a portfolio including prominent government sites, is a published author, technical editor and member of the Usability Professionals Association… but let’s face it, we had you at ‘co-founder of WordPress’.
Take your WordPress site to the next level with this two day course. You’ll dig deep into theme customisation, understand how to make your site perfect on mobile devices, and unleash the full potential of the platform from search engine optimisation (SEO), security and caching to e-commerce. You’re welcome to work on your own site, but we’ll also set you up with a site and a month of hosting to let you experiment. After completing the course, you’ll be confident your site is professional quality and working its hardest for you.
Who will benefit from this class?
You may already have a WordPress site or two and you want yours to be better than the rest.
You may be contemplating spending several thousand pounds on hiring a developer/ designer for your new company website.
If you want to work on an existing WordPress site you are more than welcome, but we will provide a pre-installed site for up to a month for all attendees.
Who is this course for?
This course is aimed at those who’ve already got to grips with the WordPress CMS. You’ll don’t need any programming experience, but a little CSS knowledge is useful.If you want to work on an existing WordPress site you are more than welcome, but we will provide a pre-installed site for up to a month for all attendees. This course is aimed at those who’ve already got to grips with the WordPress CMS. You’ll don’t need any programming experience, but a little CSS knowledge is useful.
- Introduction To WordPress: What is WordPress? A little history
- Recap of the WordPress basics: Posts, pages and all that jazz
- Settings in depth: More ways to configure your site
- Advanced posts and pages: Featured images, the kitchen sink, paging and more
- Exercise: Getting to grips with the WordPress Editor
- The Image Editor: Make your own thumbnails
- Themes, Widgets and Menus in-depth: Learning the building blocks
- CSS introduction: An overview and some useful tools
- Pulling it all together: Improving the look of your site
- Exercise: Customising your theme with CSS
- Security: Hosting, plugins and good habits
- Caching: Make your site fly!
- Exercise: Security and caching plugins
- SEO – an overview: The strange art of Search Engine Optimisation
- Anti-spam techniques: Akismet and beyond
- Jetpack in depth: Juicy goodness form WordPress.com
- Exercise: Getting to know Jetpack
- E-commerce – an overview: An intro to selling your stuff
- More useful tools and plugins
After completing the class, you will have:
- In-depth knowledge about WordPress configuration
- A suite of plugins to enhance your site to your needs
- The ability to configure WordPress to your preferences
- The ability to use industry-standard developer tools
- An understanding of site security and Search Engine Optimisation
- Practical knowledge of advanced plugins
This is a very practical hands-on course where you will complete exercises, ask questions and engage in discussions to make the most of the time.
36-40 Edge Street
Manchester, United Kingdom