Journey to Advanced Teamwork | 6-Week Course 2.8.14
Event on 2014-02-08 09:00:00
Advance Your Skillset. Solidify Your Teamwork. Broaden Your Journey.
Find your training and learning zone! Now that you've got the fundamentals of basic training with your puppy or adult dog in place, its time to pull everything together and have some FUN with it! Formerly known as KBDT Canine Small Groups, this self-paced class is open to puppies 6 months and up and will now occur over a 6-week period versus the previous drop-in style format. Dog owners of all levels are invited to come and advance at their own pace, in a fun, low-pressure and nurturing environment.
Experience something a little different! Instructional topics are announced the day of class…so you never know what you and your dog will be asked to do or learn on that particular day…just like the adventure you experience every time you walk out your front door together! Skilled trainers are available to coach you and your dog through new challenges, concepts and training strategy presented over your 6-week course. Everyone (dogs and humans) will leave class — weekly — with a feeling of success, as each of you will have the opportunity to work at your own pace. THIS is the advantage of working with well-seasoned and highly experienced trainers! We often have dog owners choose to repeat this class because they're always learning something new! This class is usually a mix of pups fresh out of puppy class, canine/handler teams preparing for their AKC Canine Good Citizen Exam, those who have already acquired their Canine Good Citizen Title, active or retired therapy dogs and good old fashion every-day dogs and their people looking to learn, play and grow together!
Throughout the duration of this class, we will cover three main areas of owning and raising a canine companion:
- Socialization (this is ongoing throughout your dog's entire life!)
- Problem prevention, individualized strategy and early solutions
- Basic and advanced obedience
While each class will cover a different topic or "exercise", every class involves the same theme-based instruction with a large focus on:
- Owner focus, influence and relaxation among real-world distractions;
- Basic Training Protocol (reinforcing appropriate behaviors without reinforcing negative behaviors) and new Training Techniques;
- AKC Canine Good Citizen 10 Points of Testing and/or cementing these skills (Sit, down, stay, recall (come!), leash-walking, etc.);
- Teamwork (not only between you and your dog, but amongst each other as fellow dog owners setting each other up for success! );
- Introduction to Organized Canine Sports and other fun activities to keep you and your dog growing together beyond class; and
- Weekly Challenges Both On and/or Off-leash (age and skill appropriate).
CLASS FEE: 0.00
Pre-Requisite: Prior KBDT Private or Group Instruction (or affiliated trainers)
Your class includes six instructional visits, Free AKC Canine Good Citizen Testing or AKC Puppy S.T.A.R. Evaluation (when applicable), and like all other KBDT services, ongoing phone or email support.
NOTE: If you are experiencing any significant behavior problems with your puppy such as moderate-severe separation anxiety or aggressive displays, we recommend a private in-home Initial Behavior Consultation as soon as possible.
Thank you for choosing KBDT. We are confident that your class will provide an enjoyable experience for you and your companion. The learnings solidified here are sure to remain with you for the lifetime of your pet and possibly beyond!
Kimberly Burgan, CPDT-KA
Accredited Behavior Consultant and Certified Professional Dog Trainer
Owner, Kimberly Burgan Dog Training | Austin, TX
Certification Instructor, dog*tec Dog Walking Academy | Austin, TX
Author, "Poppy and Puppy are Friends: A Child's Introduction to Responsible Dog Ownership"
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Are there age limits/other requirements to enter this class?
Yes. Your dog should be 6 months or older to join this class. This class is open only to existing KBDT Clients who have already received some sort of private and or group class instruction by KBDT or affiliated trainers. Contact email@example.com for affiliated trainer approval and/or other group class options for dogs that do not meet the above criteria!
2. I really like the concept of this class, but have not trained with KBDT before. How do I get started?
Great question. We'd love to have you! Please contact Kimberly at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a private consultation and we'll get you into our next class faster than you can say "Affenpinscher"!
3. What is the exact location for the training event?
301 Chisholm Trail in Round Rock. Your Google Maps will get you lost! From I-35, exit and travel west on Hwy 620. At your first light (Chisholm Trail), turn left. Make an immediate right across the railroad tracks and you'll see signs for Central Texas Veterinary Specialty Hospital. Our classes take place in the lovely, fully-fenced, park-like setting to the north of the hospital building. You'll see several gazebos and we meet for class right there!
4. What are my parking options at the event?
You will be parking at the Central Texas Veterinary Specialty Hospital. Please reserve all up-front parking spaces for emergency patients at the hospital. Feel free to park anywhere else!
5. Are restrooms available at your outdoor training field?
We recommend you potty before you arrive so that you may maximize your 60 minutes of class time! However, there are restrooms on-site within the animal hospital. We just ask that you check-in with the front-desk and let them know you are training with KBDT! Always keep your dogs away from other dogs visiting the hospital.
6. What can/can't I bring to the event?
We do not allow any prong, choke, pinch collars or flexi-leads. Your dog should arrive on a fitted martingale collar or easy-walk/no pull harness and a six-foot leash. Humans are discouraged from wearing open toed shoes to any training class.
Do bring a variety of treats and toys for your pet and water for yourself and your pup.
7. What else should I know about classes with KBDT?
- Training events by KBDT are always offered in a fun, safe and nurturing environment using only rewards-based training techniques. KBDT reserves the right to discontinue services at any time, under circumstances deemed appropriate, which will always be communicated to our clients.
- An individual handler is required for each dog in attendance. Under no circumstances will a single handler be allowed to attend class with more than one dog at a time.
- All human family members are welcome and encouraged to attend, with appropriate adult supervision as applicable.
- Classes are subject to cancellation one week in advance due to low enrollment and/or with shorter notice due to inclement weather and/or unsafe driving conditions. Rain date classes are assigned (in advance) with every course to ensure that KBDT makes 6 classes available to you!
8. Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Please contact Kimberly directly at email@example.com or 512-636-6996. Visit www.kbdogtraining.com for additional details regarding KBDT!
9. Is my registration/ticket transferrable? No.
10. Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event? No.
11. What is the class make up policy?
We do not offer make-up classes or missed-class credits and hope that you are able to attend all six sessions to maximize your dollars and learning opportunity. Because schedules can get tricky (real life), know that guests are welcome to bring your puppy ANY time…and encouraged. We love friendly strangers coming to puppy class!
12. What is the refund policy?
Thank you for understanding that we are a small business offering an exclusive service. Our refund policy is in place to keep our administrative time and costs to a minimum. Payment in full is required at the time of registration. In the event of cancellation before the course begins, a 50% refund will be issued when the cancellation is communicated 5 business days before the course start date. We are unable to offer any type of refund after the course start date.
While services are non-refundable upon beginning the course, should you feel unsatisfied with your service and would like to request consideration for a partial refund (of no more than 50% of class fee minus attended class charges) we ask that you notify Kimberly in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org within 24 hours of your service. Such a refund will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
at KBDT Training Field @ Central TX Veterinary Specialty Hospital
301 Chilsholm Trail
Round Rock, United States