Website Design Workshop for Beginners
Event on 2012-10-13 10:00:00
Website Design Workshop for Beginners
Welcome to the October-November 2012 Workshop/Bootcamp presented by Promilia. This 4 day workshop will be thought by Ainsley Miller who is truly a technologist and loves working and playing with tech. He also manage a successful consulting practice, with clients such as Bell Canada, Aviva Canada, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH), York University, Humber College, the Markham African Caribbean Association (MACA), the Markham Nubian Book Club and many more. However, Ainsley is not all work, he loves to travel, trying new activities such as skydiving and sometimes volunteering his skills to charities.
The Workshop Includes
Installing WordPress and Joomla and setting the general parameters of your website or blog, such as permanent links, reading/writing, choosing a template for your website or blog, Working with pages, posts, plugins, widgets, and more.
Seats are limited, register now – registration closes October 01, 2012
- Saturday, October 13, 2012: 10:00am – 12:30pm
- Saturday, October 20, 2012: 10:00am – 12:30pm
- Saturday, November 03, 2012: 10:00am – 12:30pm
- Saturday, November 10, 2012: 10:00am – 12:30pm
Frank McKechnie Community Centre
310 Bristol Road East
Day 1: Introduction to Website Design
- Introduction to HTML
- Introduction to CSS
- Introduction to Database concepts
- Introduction to image editing using GIMP
- Introduction to FTP using FileZilla
- Introduction to domain registration and hosting
Day 2: Joomla Website Design
Joomla! is one of the largest Open Source, Database driven, Content Management System in the world. It allows you to update your web site through the internet with no software. It is free and there are no license fees or programs that you need to buy or install.
Joomla! is also a robust platform that allows your site to expand and grow as your company grows.
- Installing Joomla
- Getting Started with Joomla!
- Understanding & Working with Templates
- Preparing Your Site for Content
- Setting Global & Individual Page Parameters
- Creating Content Pages & Posts
- Adding Links & Images
- Working with Menus, Using Blog & List Layouts
Day 3: WordPress Website Design
WordPress is web software you can use to create a beautiful website or blog. We like to say that WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time.
- Installing WordPress
- Setting the general parameters of your website or blog, such as permanent links, reading/writing
- Choosing a template for your website or blog
- Working with pages, posts, plugins, widgets and more
Day 4: Social Media Marketing and SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
SEO is used to help improve the ranking of your website using relevant keywords while building and optimizing your website. This optimization allows different search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing to find your business faster and easier. This brings more traffic to your website, especially when you focus your keywords
- Website Analytics
- Link Building
- Conversion Optimization
- Social Media Marketing
Assignments and Projects
Prepare a sites/blogs – the site/blog should include the following components: a page about yourself including picture, CV, interests and contact page, and one page with the integration of PayPal payment module (e-Commerce) for the commercialization of a product of your choice.
Check traffic on your site/blog and apply adapted marketing strategies.
Laptop with Wifi connection
Credit card to purchase your own domain name (Only if you do not already have a domain)
PayPal account for payment module on the site (visit Paypal prior to the first class to register an account: https://www.paypal.com)
The best site/blog in terms of one-month traffic will receive a prize
310 Bristol Rd E